Cinemahead Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A bit about myself  (Read 5315 times)

Markus1985

• Cinemaheads
  • Multitasking... *Sigh*
    • View Profile
A bit about myself
« on: March 06, 2013, 06:29:42 PM »

So where to begin...

Hi, I'm Markus, Swedish citizen since 1985, when i was born.
I think I've always liked telling or listening to stories, since I was a kid.

Yet it took a long long time untill i started thinking about making and tell stories,
and in my case mainly through animated and live action shortfilm.

This all began when there became an rise in exported anime and manga from Japan,
which sparked my interest in animation, and filmmaking in general, as well as finding Stanley Kubrick & Quentin Tarantino.

In or around 2005 I started making my first semi-professional work,
semi-pro since I now started to write scripts and storyboards instead of just blindly film whatever caught my eye at the time.

Since 2006 I've attended certain courses relating to filmmaking,
as well as getting involved in different film projects, produced by me and others a like, trying to improve and ready myself for the next project whatever the captivating story may be that capture my interest for the time being.

Why I do it? Because I find it fun telling stories I guess.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 06:31:51 PM by Markus1985 »
"There is no point in having sharp images when you've fuzzy ideas."
Jean-Luc Godard.

cinemahead

• Administrator
  • Maker
    • View Profile
    • Ch@OS Studios - The Cinemahead Forum
Re: A bit about myself
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2013, 02:50:06 PM »

Cool stuff, Markus. What are you working on Now?
D.

Markus1985

• Cinemaheads
  • Multitasking... *Sigh*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2013, 09:37:50 PM »

At the moment a few project in different states of progress,
as well as a few projects I'm waiting to get the go ahead with.

Other than that I'm writing stuff, trying to develop some new stories,
 that I'll try and turn into finished short filmes eventually some time in the not to far future. :)
"There is no point in having sharp images when you've fuzzy ideas."
Jean-Luc Godard.

minsar

• Global Moderator
  • Into the Forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2013, 10:01:11 PM »

Hey Cinemaheads!

Before reading this post I suggest making yourselves a good cup of tea. Or coffee, it that’s what you prefer :)

Plesase allow me to introduce myself, I’m a …

While I use the self-created name Minsar as a sort of an Internet identity, I’m simply Joanna for the most people afk. I’m a thirty-year old individual, fairly talkative, with a cultural background somewhere between Poland (where I grew up) and Sweden (where I moved to a few years ago).  My previous university background (philosophy + some courses in art, culture & languages) sets tone to my current, second field of studies, that is, film studies.

Before I continue to my film background, I have to say - I do not have a nearly encyclopedic knowledge about film history, I have problems with remembering the actors’ names and faces, I do not consume gazillions of movies per year and the term “nerd” fits me only in the Beatles context. The line between movies and me is strong, but it has taken another form. 

“I’ve been a cineaste since the day I was born” sounds cool, but doesn’t really apply to me. Sure, I enjoyed going to the movies when I was little. Sure, some films had an enormous impact on me, inspiring me to get into different areas of activities and interests. You know, The NeverEnding Story, Karate Kid and so on. However, it was not until I discovered Michelangelo Antonioni and later some of the classical auteur works of the sixties and seventies that the word CINEMA, as opposed to concrete films, started to have a personal meaning for me, a process started as late as in my early twenties. I owe also a lot to Andrzej Werner, a Polish film theorist, and absolutely magical hours spent Monday evening after Monday evening in the old, dusty cinema listening to his series of lectures on film history, followed by screening of two feature films.

I was now entering the world of movies in another way, more analytical and observant. It is this search for symbols, structures, connections and placing them in a broader context as well as looking at personal resonance, that define me as a person interested in films. The narratives understood as mere unfolding of events and characters, that what most of the people call stories, are what my mind tends to forget the first. What I don’t forget are specific scenes, perspectives, tones, colors, dialogue lines, my own associations, impressions, thoughts. What triggered my fascination with the movie world was the observation of HOW something is showed becomes the WHAT. How the old distinction between the form and content falls apart. 

Now, how does the filmmaker emerge in a person clearly standing on the passive and theoretical side of the cinema universe and who didn’t even consider making her own films until three years ago? It was the researcher in me that applied to the KAU course Documentary in Theory and Practice (Doc.Mob!), my first Cinemahead workshop. I mean, how can one write and discuss movies properly without ever standing on the other side of the camera? It was not a “call” or a conviction that filmmaking is something I want to dig into. It was just pure curiosity. Before I had never even held a video camera or used any editing program. I was excited at the adventure, I wanted to try my best, but I wasn’t expecting any fantastic results. Frankly speaking, I thought my film was going to suck and I was afraid to make a fool out of myself in front of everybody else who surely had some previous filmmaking experience. Yes, I had an idea I believed in, but I did not believe in myself. 

Well, how about now, if I may jump cut to the present for a second. Do I believe in myself now when it comes to filmmaking? There is no clear answer. Sometimes - more and more often - yes… sometimes no. I begin to think that “being a filmmaker” is not about having a fixed identity; it is rather a distinct state of mind, a state of consciousness, which I flow in and out of. Would any of you agree? What is “being a filmmaker” about, what defines it, as it comes to your own personal experience?

What I never expected before joining that first workshop was that the whole business of filmmaking would be so intense. Being used to interacting with films in a partly detached and analytical way, I didn’t realize how unavoidable it was that you yourself came into the picture, that you became the material you’re working on. I had no idea how it feels when you, day by day, start seeing more and more sharply, how the film evolves, fluctuates, gains life, becomes something different from what you expected it to be and sort of looks back at you, giving you more insights, letting you see more clearly what you yourself want to say. I was surprised by how deeply filmmaking affected me. I was even more surprised when this first ever film I’ve ever made, a three minutes short documentary, won “the best documentary” title at the local film festival.

Since that first excursion, I’ve made three more short-short films, the last one being the animation which was another important chapter about which I have started to write ---> HERE

I’m aware that compared with a lot of you, the amount of my experience is very small, as I am still at the beginning of my journey. I am still learning about both basic technical (camera settings, shot compositions, lightning, editing features, and the most hazy – formats & settings) and story construction aspects of filmmaking. But I will be more than glad to share what I find along the way.

What about the now?

As the practical aspects still are something I need to work on a lot, and as I feel I need to get into the habit of grabbing the camera, editing and creating short forms, I’ve recently started a videoblog, ca 10 minutes weekly episodes. I’m recording it with the most fantastic present I got from my beloved friends in December – my first ever handycam! While this form may seem a bit “teenagey” and unserious to some, it is a brilliant opportunity for me to plan, film and edit something on regular basis, explore and learn Adobe Premiere, learn about the sites with royalty free material and also try to conquer the fear of talking in front of a camera. All of this done without the stress of working on “real” films. The audience is my friends and family in my homeland, so I get the constructive feedback of people I know mean well, while at the same time I’m keeping contact with them.

As to filmmaking plans, I will be continuing my animation with start somewhere around June, hopefully getting access to the Värmlands Filmförbund room. I’ve backed up a Kickstarter project – a 3doodler pen – with an intention to explore more the world of stop-motion animation. I’m planning on buying a tri-pod. I've also had three film ideas (documentaries) in my mind for a while , ideas which I plan to look into after the summer. Finally, I’m looking forward to participating in some film or film-related projects that my friends are starting.

Well, that’s about it… I’m sorry I’ve taken so much space, but writing a short and concise notice in the introduction area would be trying to make an impression that I am a person that I’m not :) .

Now, I’m all ears for YOUR personal stories!!
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 10:26:56 PM by minsar »
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans"

cinemahead

• Administrator
  • Maker
    • View Profile
daniel : A bit about myself
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2013, 11:09:50 PM »

Thank you joanna
(or should I call you Minsar? )
You should feel like a filmmaker because you are one!!
I am so happy to seed you are developing in this way. Your last animation is inspiring (you know that, you posted about it, this should be a link :))

you wrote (this should be a quote :)

... I begin to think that “being a filmmaker” is not about having a fixed identity; it is rather a distinct state of mind, a state of consciousness, which I flow in and out of. Would any of you agree? What is “being a filmmaker” about, what defines it, as it comes to your own personal experience?

That's a good hook for me to hop in with some reasons why I  am (we are) here in this start-up of a forum.

- I started Cinemahead 12 years ago. I was teaching Cinematography in Valencia (Los Angeles) at the Radio TV and Film Department of the College of the Canyons, where I started teaching after a fun festival tour with my fourth short film "Czar Of Make Believe" starring Mark Borchardt and Kirill Mikhanovski.

-  One of the young filmmakers in my 16mm class was John Steinmetz, artist extraordinaire. One day he asked if I knew Radiohead. (I did) I told him filmmaking for me is like playing in band, we make it together, with different instruments.

- I got home went online and bought the domain name Cinemahead. Later I trademarked it and started this company of film-makers which changed my life., bringing me in touch with people who think and make story and film.

-  I spend lots of time in the solo company of my own imagination. Being part of a community of filmmakers sharing their making-of process has been a special learning experience for me. Together and one on one, Cinemahead supports personal process, visual experimentation, story development and the funding and product in of independent transformative projects.

( to be cont'd)

« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 11:16:24 PM by cinemahead »
D.

kwam25

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2014, 01:14:30 PM »

Hello, my name is kelsey. Originally from America. I came to Sweden back in Fall 12 as a master student in global media. I originally studied in humanities back in 2005 from Columbus State university in Georgia. Upon completing my bachelor's I went to Hollywood working in an internship for a major movie company at a major Hollywood studio.

During my tenure their I worked in development and read a number of film scripts. It was here where I first learned to write feature length scripts. I eventually met a successful screenwriter in Hollywood and I mentored under him crafting my skills and developing a unique writing style which would focus on character development and high octane action sequences which would become visually appealing.

I completed my first 125 page full length script one year later. i was so excited. I would never forget about the feeling and satisfaction I had. It was almost nostalgic. I felt as if I'd accomplished something huge. As if Sisyphus had successfully rolled the boulder to the top of the peak!

However, I found life in the movie industry is a harsh reality and highly competitive. I never gave up writing movie scripts and I try to write one script every two years.

Upon leaving Hollywood I returned to graduate school to do research in education. I believe pursuing a career in academia would be highly rewarding for I love writing and conducting research. Upon completing my first master's I yearned to get into a Ph D. program or to travel back to Hollywood and give it another shot. However, an opportunity presented itself for the Global media master's program here at Karlstad University. I am currently in my last semester writing a master thesis centering on convergence media in the Arab community with an emphasis on social media's impact during the Arab Spring.

My passion will always center on writing stories. When I was younger I loved Star Wars, Anime, hip hop, Bruce Lee and his philosophy, Tao Te Ching, Hinduism, Egyptian mythology, Shinto philosophy, Michael Jackson, and of course women.

However, I have really become a very huge Dragonball Z fan over the past 10 plus years. Filmmakers I have grown to respect over the years include Spike Lee, Akira Kurosawa, and Akira Toriyama. I believe Spike Lee has influenced a generation of minority filmmakers, Kurosawa likewise influenced a number of modern day storytellers, and Toriyama who is a Japanese manga artist who is the creator of Dragonball also has been highly influential in his arena.

Currently, I continue to write screenplays and I plan to write another screenplay during the fall of this year. Upon completing my master's I hope to continue my studies in a Ph D. program here in Sweden.

I have attached a copy of my recent script. It is a sci fi/fantasy script titled KWAM.

Logline:
When the Earth is ravaged by a powerful galactic
  lord bent on
  regaining his former power a young prodigy with
 supernatural ability
  returns from the future to prevent the planet's
  impending doom.

cinemahead

• Administrator
  • Maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2014, 03:02:43 PM »

hello Kelsey!
cool that you joined the Cinemahead community with a bang!
You have a script and ambition to boot. You bounced off Hollywood and you didn't give up… more power to you!

Looking forward to see in you at the seminar at KCCC in Karlstad, on Friday Feb 21.

daniel
/Cinemahead
D.
Pages: [1]   Go Up